Presented in individual webinars.
Date: November 14, 2018.
Each webinar is 11am to 12pm CT, U.S.
Instructor: Dr. Jan Roskam
The KU Aerospace Short Course Program announces the History of Airplane Design webinar series, presented by Dr. Jan Roskam. This webinar series will include five individual webinars, each focusing on specific companies and their contributions to the commercial, military and transport aircraft industries. Each webinar provides interesting facts and historical details on a wide variety of airplane development programs, industry innovations, successes and failures. Learn from a legend in aircraft design how some of today's best known companies got started, persevered or went bankrupt, merged or made it on their own. Dr. Jan Roskam is the Ackers Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Aerospace Engineering, University of Kansas, and founder of the KU Aerospace Short Course Program. Each webinar is presented live, and will not be available for viewing following the live presentation.
- November 14, 2018 - History of Airplane Design: Ilyushin, MIG, Bloch, Dassault, Breguet and Fouga
This course provides an overview of airplane static and dynamic stability and control theory and applications, as well as classical control theory and applications to airplane control systems. An overview of flying qualities and regulations is included.
- General airplane equations of motion
- Review of basic aerodynamic concepts
- Longitudinal aerodynamic forces and moments
- Lateral-directional aerodynamic forces and moments
- Thrust forces and moments
- The concept of static stability
- Applications of the steady state airplane equations of motion
- Effects of the flight control system; control forces
- Applications of the perturbed state equations of motion
- Dynamic stability: short period, phugoid, Dutch Roll, spiral and roll mode
- Review of flying qualities criteria
- Introduction to human pilot transfer functions
- Synthesis of stability augmentation systems
Comments & Reviews
- "I felt the course will be immediately applicable to my current position and that the materials and knowledge from the class will continue to be useful in the future. The instructor was excellent and had a great command of the course material from both a theoretical and practical point of view."
- "It helped me to recharge my knowledge and understanding about Flight Dynamics, because I have background in aeronautical engineering. It will also help me with my works which are related to stability topics."
- "Excellent Course!!! Thanks Prof. Anemaat for explanations and answering my questions. Excellent books and classroom examples." - Dr. Felix Martinez, PhD - Universidad Pan Americana
About the Instructor:
Dr. Willem Anemaat has been actively involved with more than 350 airplane design projects and has run many subsonic wind tunnel tests for clients. Anemaat has more than 25 publications in the field of airplane design and analysis; and is the recipient of the SAE 2010 Forest R. McFarland Award, Vice Chair of the AIAA Aircraft Design Technical Committee, an AIAA Associate Fellow and an associate editor for the AIAA Journal of Aircraft. Anemaat holds an M.S.A.E. degree from the Delft University of Technology in The Netherlands and a Ph.D. in aerospace engineering from The University of Kansas.
This is an "On-Demand" 24-hour short course offered at DARcorporation and on-line. Each course is specific to individual needs and offers one-on-one interaction with instructor. Discounts for additional attendees. Please specify preferred dates for short course.
This course is an introduction to basic concepts and practical techniques of aircraft structural analysis with case studies. It is intended for engineers and managers whose work involves or interacts with aircraft structural design and analysis. Course includes instruction and notes. Short Course Outline (pdf)
- Design Criteria
- Static Stress Analysis
- Dynamic Normal Mode Analysis and Frequency Response Analysis
- Elastic Stability
- Aeroelasticity Analysis
- Fatigue Analysis
- Static Load Test
- Dynamic Test and Ground Vibration Test
About the Instructor:
Dr. Wanbo Liu Dr. Liu is an expert in aerospace structural analysis and has published several papers on this topic. He led the engineering effort at DARcorporation for the design and analysis of multiple external radar installations mounted on the NASA Lockheed P-3, NASA DC-8, NOAA Lockheed P-3 and the German Alfred Wegener Institute Basler BT-67 research airplanes, which all involved dissimilar materials under severe flight and environmental loads. Dr. Liu's contribution to NASA's Operation IceBridge (OIB) Airborne Radar Surveys won him the NASA Group Achievement Award in 2011.
On-Line Training is hosted by Cisco WebEx Meeting which delivers highly effective, live instruction to anyone and anywhere. Tailored to the type of training, we can share desktop showcasing the software or other resources like PDF or Powerpoint files. Audio portion will come from the use of computer speakers/microphone. Real time chat is also possible during the session. We can also provide post recordings for self-paced learning and review to maximize information retention. Multiple participants can take part in the same session. Cisco WebEx System Requirements & Release Notes